Photo Printing Terms
Digital Printing, Photo Enlargement, Image Resolution Terminology
This page is a collection of commonly used terminology in the digital printing industry with regard to digital images, digital photo enlargements, fine art reproduction, giclee printing, and more. If you have any questions, be sure to contact us and we will help find the answers you need!
Digital Photo Enlargement and Printing Terms
Get started and enlarge your pictures! »
- Archival Ink: UV-resistant ink ideal for digital photo prints, giclee artwork and picture enlargements.
- Blow Up: Enlarge a photo, usually to giclee print a digital picture, scanned image, fine art enlargement or picture.
- Color Management: Calibration of equipment to yield accurate color reproductions and picture enlargements.
- DPI: Dots per inch. Measurement of picture resolution. Reduces during enlargement of photos, pictures, or fine art.
- Digital Picture: Electronic image scanned or taken with a digital camera, ready for enlargement.
- Digital Printing: Process of printing a digital picture or giclee fine art picture to a digital printer.
- Digital Proof: Digital image of an enlargement picture viewable on a monitor.
- Enlarge: To increase the size of a digital photo or digital picture, for printing an enlargement.
- Enlargement: A digital photo, digital picture, or fine art reproduction that has been enlarged and printed.
- Fine Art Reproduction: High-resolution, giclee museum quality reproduction or enlargement of artwork images and paintings.
- Giclee: Digital printing, i.e. large format digital print, giclee fine art reproduction or photo enlargement.
- Image Resolution: The number of pixels (dots) contained in a digital image or enlargement.
- Interpolation: Special image resizing algorithm designed to preserve image quality during enlargement.
- JPEG: File format for digital picture images with superior compression ideal for digital photos, enlargements and picture reproduction.
- Large Format Printing: Process of giclee printing photographs, picture enlargements, prints or reproductions.
- Media: The substrate the enlargement or digital picture is to be giclee printed on.
- Museum-quality: High-quality image output for reproductions and photo enlargements.
- Photo Enlargement: Process of blowing up and printing a digital picture reproduction on a large format giclee printer.
- Photo Resizing: Enlargement of original photos, (i.e. enlarged from 8x10 to life size or poster size).
- Photoshop: Program used to enlarge, resize, modify and print digital photo picture enlargements, artwork or fine art to a digital printer.
- Physical Proof: Printed picture reproduction for approving color and printed enlargement resolution.
- Pixel: A single dot representing a color in an enlargement picture.
- Scanned Image: Artwork, pictures, photos or fine art that have been digitized (input) with a scanner.
- TIFF: File format for digital pictures and photos without loss of quality. Ideal for enlargements, fine art giclee reproductions, digital photos and pictures.